woensdag 9 mei 2012
dinsdag 9 maart 2010
Simon Melia (known nowadays as 'The Best Boy' from 'The SmokeEaters') is an Audio/Visual artist, DJ and electronic music producer and performer. Before he became this, he is also a Promoter, Event Organiser and DJ, below is a brief history of his career...
Simon Melia (formerly known as DJ Chamelian) started as an organizer of Holland’s first breakbeat parties in 1996 and soon took to the turntables due to a lifetime of record collecting and house parties. There have been many highlights in his 14 year DJ career, below are just a few.....
- Co programmed and resident dj at the monthly ‘Big beat Boom’ night in Melkweg, Amsterdam (97-98)
- Resident and programmer of ‘The Sub’, weekly night in ‘Mazzo’, Amsterdam
- Did a series of ‘Sub’ nights in ‘Nighttown’, (Rotterdam), ‘013’ (Tilburg), ‘Patronaat’ (Haarlem), ‘Simplon’ (Groningen) and many others including ‘Catacoombs’ (Zurich; Switzerland) and ‘K4’ (Ljubliana, Slovenia)
- 4 times hosts and played at a tent at Europe’s largest one-day dance festival: Dance Valley (98,99,00,04) Headlined ‘Magic Circle’ stage at 2004 Dance Valley.
- Moved clubnight to Paradiso, Amsterdam under the name ‘Sub united’ (99-02) with 4 to 5 larger events per year. Also played regularly all over the country.
- Between 2000 and 2003 played several times in the UK at notable nights such as ‘Chew the Fat’ (London), ‘House of God’ (Birmingham), ‘Mole club’ (Bath), ‘Matrix’ (Reading) alongside top players from the breaks, electro and techno scene.
2001- first release on R&S records (under the name ‘Sub Soundsystem’) on the ‘Straight from Vinyl 2’ compilation and in 2002 gained a publishing deal from Chrysalis for his new project ‘Men In Blue’. ‘Men In Blue’ performed as a live act at venues such as Melkweg and Paradiso to much appraisal.
2002- Was nominated ‘Best Breaks DJ’ (despite his move towards more House sounds) at the ‘Lucky Strike Dance Awards’.
2001-2004 – Played at various respectable venues and festivals in Belgium, Croatia, UK, France, Austria, Macedonia, Bulgaria , Swaziland and South Africa. His sound moved more towards Chicago and Tech-House during this period.
2002-2004- Resident of Amsterdam’s ‘Advanced parties’ –named by the UK dance magazine ‘Jockey Slut’ as “One of the best international clubnights’. – Playing Tech-House/ Breaks
2005-2006 -Initiated the 'Fragile breaks' collective playing monthly in and around Amsterdam., Ran the successful Electro-House/ 'Magic stage performance' night 'Magic', with his Magician brother: Andrew Melia, at 'Sugarfactory' Amsterdam.
2006-2008 -Resident of the legendary 'Namaste' parties, playing ElectroHouse, Techno, Fat Ravey stuff and Funky Breaks meanwhile honing his production skills.
2008 until NOW: Worked with Robin Sutcliffe (aka Planet Sutcliffe) on the LIVE Electro project 'Ganz Anders' for one year before retiring from that project to concentrate on 'The SmokeEaters' with Amsterdam House music pioneer Paul Jay. They have now performed to raptuous crowds several times in Amsterdam's pop temple: 'Paradiso' , as far afield as one of Australia's biggest nightclubs, Brisbane's 'Family'. In 2010 they performed in eight different countries and played at prestigious festivals such as Glastonbury (UK), Sziget (HU) and Oxegen (IRE). Repeat bookings are rolling in such as in the mainroom at Barcelona's premier club: 'Razzmatazz' and promises to return after a much lauded set at New Zealand's 'Splore Festival 2012'.